It is only with the support of our generous volunteers that we can continue to further our mission of being a community partnership that transforms lives by providing meals for the hungry, shelter for the homeless, & services to support people to become housed.
Dinner in our Soup Kitchen EVERY NIGHT:
We need help with the dinner shift in our soup kitchen. Dinner is served at 7:15pm nightly to our 100 hungry & homeless neighbors. There are several ways to help with this meal:
- Prepare & Serve Dinner: Individuals are welcome to stop by any evening from 6-8pm to prepare & serve dinner, sort & distribute canned goods & clothes, clean the facility & grounds, fold sheets & towels, and inventory & stock supplies. You don’t have to call ahead if you are 1-3 people, but you must call ahead to schedule a group of 4 or more volunteers. Please call MILLIE to schedule the volunteer shift for your group of 4 or more volunteers—please note that the maximum size for a group of volunteers during the dinner shift is 10 people.
- Host Dinner for 100 Guests: Individuals & Groups are welcome to prepare home-cooked meals for our Guests. Meatloaf is their favorite! Please call MILLIE to schedule the volunteer shift to host & serve your delicious dinner.
- Donate frozen meats such as turkeys, hams, or meatballs. Donations can be dropped-off from 9am-9pm daily.
- Sponsor Dinner for 100 Guests: You can donate $300 to cover the cost of dinner in our soup kitchen. Please drop-off or mail checks, money orders, or cash to JACLYN’s attention. This is very much needed & truly appreciated!!!
- Volunteers need to dress casually, wear a hat, & wear closed-toed shoes.
- Please report to the Kitchen Manager when you come to Volunteer.
- Our entrance is down the wheelchair accessible ramp on 3rd Street
- If you’re interested in hosting dinners or coordinating a group of 4 or more people to volunteer, please call MILLIE to schedule your group. The best time to call her to review our volunteer calendar is from 9am-5pm, Mondays-Fridays, 201-656-5069.
- The maximum size for a group of volunteers during the dinner shift is 10 people.
- You don’t have to call ahead if you are 1-3 people.
- Check-In & Like Us on Facebook & follow us on Twitter & Instagram. The Hoboken Shelter’s accounts are Facebook: facebook,com/hobokenshelter, Twitter: @hobokenshelter, & Instagram: @hoboken_shelter.
Lunch/Showers Program, Sort Clothing/Food Donations, & Workshops on WEEKDAYS:
On weekdays, we serve a delicious hot lunch, distribute canned goods & clothes, & provide showers to our unsheltered homeless Guests. Volunteers are welcome to come & help from 11am to 3pm on Weekdays. We need help setting-up for lunch & showers – which includes sorting canned goods & clothes to be distributed at 12pm, setting the tables, preparing food, serving lunch at 1:30pm; and cleaning-up by 2pm.
We welcome volunteers to participate in our daily workshop with a round-table discussion with our Guests from 2pm-3pm. The Guests are interested in learning about your job, specific duties & responsibilities in your position, & any particular skill set or education needed to become employed in your profession.
This volunteer shift is a great opportunity for corporate groups to build collegial relationships for co-workers while they give back to the community. Please call KEITH to schedule your group. The best time to call him to review our volunteer calendar is from 9am-2pm, Mondays-Fridays, 201-656-5069.
- The maximum size for a group of volunteers during the lunch shift is 15 people for a scheduled group.
- You don’t have to call ahead if you are 1-3 people.
- Lunch Volunteers are needed on Weekdays ONLY (not on Saturdays & Sundays).
Make, Wrap, & Deliver Shelter Guests’ Daily Sandwiches EVERY DAY:
50 brown-bagged lunches are needed daily for our Shelter Guests to take to work, school, programs, and job-searching. We always appreciate the delivery of sandwiches that individuals and groups thankfully take the time to make, wrap, and deliver. Some companies do this during their staff meetings as a morale-building activity; some fraternities and sororities do this as a large group activity; and some parents and kids do this as a family activity. Any kind of sandwiches are appreciated, but our Guests prefer meat-based sandwiches. You don’t have to call ahead because we welcome donations of 1-1000 sandwiches from 9am-9pm daily.
Culinary Arts on WEEKENDS:
Professional Chefs Wanted!!! Volunteers are welcome from 11am-12pm on Saturday & Sundays to teach Guests the techniques of food preparation, the art of food presentation, and the business of the food industry. We need your help to teach our Guests these employable skills and how to cook nutritious & delicious meals on a budget. Please call KEITH to schedule this. The best time to call him is from 3pm-6pm, Monday-Fridays, 201-656-5069.
Barbers EVERY DAY:
Professional haircuts are always needed!!! We need your skills to help our Guests look good while they are job-hunting. We can schedule this on the weekdays during our Lunch/Shower Hours and/or on the weekends during our Men’s Health & Grooming Group on Saturdays and our Women’s Group on Sundays.
Please call KEITH to schedule this. The best time to call him is from 3pm-6pm, Monday-Fridays, 201-656-5069.
Vocational, Resume Writing, & Job-Searching on WEEKDAYS & EVERY NIGHT:
Volunteers are welcome from 3pm to 5pm on Weekdays and from 6pm-7pm nightly to help Guests with vocational issues, especially developing interview skills and job-searching tips. You don’t have to call ahead, but please check-in with the Case Manager & the Kitchen Manager when you arrive at the Shelter. Please call KEITH to discuss this. The best time to call him is from 3pm-6pm, Monday-Fridays, 201-656-5069.
Mentoring / Tutoring / Brain Games / Workshops EVERY DAY:
Shelter Guests appreciate your time shared with them with a simple conversation. Volunteers are welcome nightly before dinner from 6pm to 7pm to Mentor, Tutor, & Play Brain Games (Chess, Checkers, Scrabble, Dominoes, etc.) with our Guests. You don’t have to call ahead, but please check-in with the Case Manager & the Kitchen Manager when you arrive at the Shelter. Please bring games. If you would like to lead our WORKSHOPS with our Guests, we welcome motivational speakers to present important issues & lessons on these topics:
- Financial Literacy Workshop aka “Money Mondays” on Mondays: 2pm-3pm. Financial Professionals Needed!!!
- Social Services Workshop on Tuesdays: 2pm-3pm.
- Health & Hygiene Workshop on Wednesdays: 2pm-3pm. Medical Professionals Needed!!!
- Job & Employment Issues Workshop on Thursdays: 2pm-3pm.
- Current Events Discussion Group aka “Hot Topics” on Fridays: 2pm-3pm.
- Men’s Health & Grooming Group on Saturdays: 10am-12pm. Barbers Needed!!!
- Support Group on Saturdays: 3pm-4pm.
- Housing Workshop on Saturdays: 4pm-5pm.
- Spiritual Discussion Group on Sundays: 3pm-4pm.
- Bingo!, Chess, & Brain Games on Sundays: 4pm-5pm
- Women’s Group on Sundays: 10am-12pm. Stylists for Hair & Make-up Needed!!! ZUMBA is their favorite!!!
Please call Keith to coordinate volunteers for the workshops above, Mondays-Fridays, 3pm-6pm, 201-656-5069
Collect Donations of Food, Supplies, & Toiletries EVERY DAY:
Donations are welcome from 9am-9pm daily. We use the following supplies on a daily basis: 800 cups; 800 napkins; 600 plates; 250 bowls; 40 rolls of toilet paper; 5 rolls of paper towels; 5 boxes of tissues; & 3 large bottles of hand sanitizer.
Please check out our Wish List on AMAZON.COM to purchase & ship donations directly to the Shelter. We need your help to coordinate a collection of the following:
- Frozen Meat (Turkeys, Hams, Meatballs)
- Instant Potatoes
- Marinara Sauce
- Fruit—Especially Bananas
- Paper/Plastic Plates
- Hot/Cold Cups
- Plastic Utensils—Especially Forks
- Hand Sanitizer
- Laundry Detergent
- Garbage Bags (any size)
- Postage Stamps
- Shaving Cream
- Wash Cloths
- SOCKS—Guests walk an average of 14-miles/day!
Fundraise EVERY DAY:
Since it only costs us $2 per meal, every little bit really helps! Please ask your family to give donations to the shelter in lieu of gifts for your special occasions. Please host a party and have your friends bring donations for the shelter. Please make and sell items like lemonade and donate the proceeds to the shelter. Please have your company host raffles at their parties to benefit the shelter. Please sponsor dinner in our soup kitchen with a donation of $300. (You can mail donations to JACLYN’s attention—THANKS!!!)
Thanksgiving & Christmas HOLIDAYS:
We welcome all volunteers to make these holidays a special time for our Guests. You must CALL & Register at 201-656-5069. We expect a bountiful amount of volunteers to share in the spirit of the holidays. Volunteers are welcome from 6pm-8pm. We look forward to your help with: serving meals, treats, & refreshments; sorting clothing & food donations; socializing with our Guests; coordinating our newsletter mailing; & making these special evenings for our Guests!
Volunteers NEED to bring DONATIONS: Plates, Cups, Napkins, Plastic Utensils (especially Forks), Coffee, Sugar, & Milk.
Please note that we will NOT authorize students’ volunteer hours on Thanksgiving & Christmas.
Guests appreciate gifts of $10 Panera Gift Cards & SOCKS. Thanks!
Please dress casually, wear a hat, wear closed-toed shoes, & look forward to having a good time!
PLEASE NOTE that we do NOT host COURT-ORDERED Community Service Volunteers.
During EVERY volunteer shift, make sure to SIGN-IN in our STUDENT VOLUNTEER LOGBOOK for Community Service Hours for School or Religious-Purposes ONLY— No Court-Ordered Community Service Hours can be performed here. These hours need to be supervised and authorized with INITIALS IN THIS LOGBOOK by the Kitchen Manager at the end of EVERY SHIFT. Please note that we will not authorize students’ volunteer hours on Thanksgiving & Christmas. Following your tenure of service, YOU need to make arrangements to present your documentation to the KITCHEN MANAGER for the official approval. If your school does not provide a form, then YOU have to write the letter for her signature, because we do NOT provide these letters. Please be advised that YOU are responsible to schedule this in advance of your deadline & need to coordinate it with any of the Kitchen Managers to verify your hours in our Student Volunteer Logbook & sign-off on your paperwork. This cannot be done via email/online/mail/phone. Kitchen Managers are generally scheduled from 6pm to 8pm nightly. All Student Volunteers NEED to bring DONATIONS: Plates, Cups, Napkins, & Plastic Utensils (especially Forks).